Monday, December 10, 2007

Missing Kita

I hadn't really thought about her in a while until Saturday.

When we were taking out Christmas stockings Saturday, A spotted the extra one in the box for Kita (my beloved husky who I had for almost 14 years), I had put names on two little stockings for her and Cobi (my hubby's, now our dog) when we moved in together and it just stays in the bin as I don't have the heart to toss it. So A asks me whose stocking it is and I tell her. She asks where Kita is and I say "Doggie Heaven" thinking that would suffice. Nope. "What's Doggie Heaven?" *sigh* "Well, my doggie was very old and she got sick. And she died, so now she's in Doggie Heaven." "Oh."

Not another word was said about Kita until this afternoon after hubby picked A up from school. She fell asleep on the way home and when she woke up (in the driveway) she was SOBBING saying "I miss LilKita, I want to see her again. I really miss that dog." Over and Over. She was still sobbing when I got home about 15 minutes later. Totally blew me away walking in the door. And her daddy had no clue about the stocking conversation so he was even more shocked.

I told her that Kita would always be in our hearts and we could see her anytime we wanted by looking at pictures. I showed her a picture I have on a high shelf in the computer room. Next to the tin of her ashes (no, I didn't mention them). She was very weepy and we kept having to divert her attention. At one point I asked her if she talked about Kita at school, wondering if that stirred up some thoughts. She said No. You've got to wonder what is in those little minds...

Strange, sensitive child I have, huh?

No comments: