Friday, January 05, 2007

Someone Clearly has our back...

Last night was one of the worst kitchen disasters my house has ever suffered. No joke. Thank heavens above no one was seriously injured or worse....

What happened was, my husband and I were talking over a few things while cleaning up the kitchen and getting ready to settle down in front of the TV with some tea. I started to make egg salad for A's lunch. I put a pot of water and two eggs on the stove. Turned the electric burner to HI and walked over to the fridge for something else.

POP! POP! POP!

Another pan, a pyrex glass one, that was on the stove literally EXPLODED all over the kitchen. (I had turned on the wrong burner; the 13 x 9 glass pan was just there, waiting to be put away....) Shards of blue glass sprayed ALL OVER the kitchen. I've never heard my husband use that many consecutive four letter words. Later, he said he thought we were being shot at.

Crazy, scarey stuff I tell you!

LUCKILY, neither one of us was within two feet of the stove at the time.

LUCKILY, our barely three year old, but perfect height to get shards of glass in her face, daughter was in the other room playing. (Just minutes before she was "helping" us empty the dishwasher, right in harm's way... talk about guilt)

We spent over an hour cleaning the kitchen, taking apart the stove, throwing things out that were wrecked with glass. Vaccuming and sweeping and wet-papertoweling the floor. Not exactly what we had planned to do last night, but did it gladly when we thought of what the outcome could have been.

I guess if I have to look for a silver lining (other than no injuries) I'd say my kitchen's cleaner than it's ever been. And that includes Christmas card glitter on my kitchen floor!

2 comments:

Carla said...

Thank goodness you're all ok! How frightening!

Kristen said...

Geeeezlouise! I'm so happy that noone was hurt! Yikes!!